Pages

Monday, October 03, 2011

Poopy Soupy

Even though I don't eat particularly unhealthy, I am wise enough to know that I can always make some small improvements in my diet. One of these improvements would be to add more variety in what I eat on a weekly basis.  In the past, I have been successful in my weight loss when I have attempted to keep things interesting by trying out new recipes.

So, in my efforts to try to add more variety to my meals and to try to make more homemade meals, I decided to try another new soup recipe over the weekend. It was a potato soup recipe that I have been eyeing for awhile on a blog that I follow. When I say "follow", unfortunately that doesn't mean that I have actually tried any of the recipes (yet). I have been reading the blog for a couple of years now and have printed off numerous recipes that I want to try. They are all low-fat (or fat-free) and vegetarian (actually they are vegan but I wouldn't need to make them all completely vegan). I promise I will share this blog with you another day but I really don’t want my first link to her site to be in a blog entry entitled "Poopy Soupy".


So, as I said, I decided to try making another soup yesterday. It was a potato soup recipe and it had very few ingredients so I figured, "what the heck", it won't take me long and the kiddies are happily playing with their toys in their playroom. It took about 45 minutes from start to finish which may sound long but that included peeling the potatoes, waiting for them to boil (20 minutes) then waiting for them to simmer with the broth and spices (15 minutes) etc. It wasn't as if I was standing there in the kitchen for 45 minutes.

So, at the point where the soup was simmering, I noticed an odd smell when I lifted the lid of the pot. I thought to myself that it must be something about the mixture of the spices and that it would go away once the soup was mixed together in the blender. Once the soup was completely done, I poured myself a bowl to try. Before the soup even entered my mouth, that pungent smell hit me again. There is no other way of describing it other than saying that it smelt like manure. Really, it did (to me at least). The kids didn't notice it (thank god) but I sure did. I struggled trying to eat the entire bowl but besides the smell of manure, it still tasted good. I guess I convinced myself that since there wasn't actually manure in it, then it was fine!!


I still wanted to find out what the smell was. I made my way back to the kitchen and sniffed the rosemary. It smelt fine. Then I sniffed the container with the vegetable broth. It smelt fine. Then I sniffed the white pepper. OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! It absolutely reeked. Manure is still the only way I can describe the smell. Why the heck does my white pepper smell like manure? There was no time for me to do anymore investigating as we were heading out shortly to run errands so I decided I would just come back to it later.


Later that evening I decided to search Google for the answer because I couldn't figure it out. Well, wouldn't you know it, I am not the only person in this world who finds that white pepper smells like manure. There were posts and threads and other discussions about it. I will admit that I am probably in a very teeny minority who thinks this but at least I am not alone.


Now I need to figure out what to do with my leftover Poopy Soupy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment