Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Oh wine, how I love thee!

I love wine, yes I do.  While starting this new venture, I decided to cut back my consumption.  It's not that I was having a bottle every night and getting drunk or anything.  I was in the habit though of having one glass every few nights.  It was very relaxing once the kids were in bed and the dishes were done and lunches for the next day were made to sit down and have a nice, glass of wine (just one though).


I decided to cut that habit out because of the unnecessary calories that came with consuming wine on a regular basis.  


Don't get me wrong - I haven't cut it out completely.  Hell no.  What would life be like without a nice glass of wine on occasion?  I have just cut down the frequency.


I have been able to incorporate a glass here and there during the past 4 weeks.  There have been a few celebrations (my birthday and Thanksgiving) and they all required a glass or two of wine.  


Last night was a bit tricky for me though.  My friend came over for a visit and she enjoys wine just as much as I do.


So, I needed to plan for this.  I first had to figure out (for absolute certain because before I just guessed) how many points were in each glass of wine I consume.  I took out a measuring cup and poured 1 cup (8oz) of water into a wine glass.  Did you know that 8oz of wine = 8 points.  8oz doesn't even completely fill one of my wine glasses.  Eeeek!!  


So, I had to be completely honest with myself and to my food tracker.  I knew I wasn't going to be able to stop at just one glass.  My friend and I were going to watch a movie (at my house) and we also liked to sit around and chat beforehand.  I knew I would have at least two.


Two glasses of wine = 16 points.  Holy heck - I only get 29 points per day (and an extra 5 if I want or need it).


Luckily I didn't eat a lot yesterday.  I only had a late breakfast then I got so busy with the girls all day that I didn't sit down to eat again until 5:30pm.  I made myself a lighter dinner (light on calories and light on points) so I could save for my wine (high on calories and high on points).


You know what, it worked.  I didn't feel hungry (meaning, I didn't starve myself) AND I got to enjoy two decent size glasses of wine over the course of the evening.


So, as long as I don't go overboard and drink TOO much in one evening, I can still enjoy a glass (or two) of wine on occasion.  


There is a Wine and Food Festival coming here in a couple of weeks and, as much as I love going there, I am kind of relieved that my schedule with my children doesn't allow me to this year.  I would probably drink a few days worth of points in one evening!!  I can figure that all out next year when the Wine and Food Festival returns!!  Maybe by then I'll have reached my goal and I can be a bit more flexible with my "party nights"!!  And, if you haven't been, it is quite the party night!!      

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your weight loss so far, and I'm SO relieved you still allow yourself a glass of wine - imagine life without Malbec!

    ReplyDelete