Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Thoughts on "The Biggest Loser"

I have never watched an entire season of "The Biggest Loser" but I have caught snippets of episodes over the years.  Last season I saw the final show where they showed how much everyone lost from the beginning of the season until the end.  It was pretty awesome.  I didn't know any of the contestants but some of their stories were very inspirational.    


Since starting this new journey (losing 40lbs by 40), I decided to PVR this season to see what it is all about.  I know the show isn't completely realistic.  We don't all have a personal trainer who kicks our asses on a daily basis.  We don't all own a private gym or an Olympic size swimming pool and I am sure most of us do not (can not) work out 6-8 hours per day.  This I know.  What is real though is that these are individuals with real problems and real lives and that have huge weight issues.


The episode I am currently watching is making me cry.  One of the teams won a challenge and the prize was to be able to chat via video with their family.  Most of them have children which is why it is hitting so close to home for me.


There are many reasons why I want to lose weight (hmmm....maybe I should start a new post on ALL the reasons why) but one of the main reasons is my children.  I want to be a good role model for them.  I want them to see Mommy as a healthy adult who makes good choices in life.  I am a firm believer in leading by example which is why my girls have rarely seen me eat something that is considered unhealthy.  They have actually even seen me complete a 5K run (in October 2009 - another topic for another day).  I still remember for months afterwards, whenever they would see someone running they would say "Mommy, that person is running just like you" or "Mommy, when we grow up, can we run with you"?  I felt so proud.  I want them to say these things to me again.  I want them to run like me and run with me when they get bigger. 


{BTW, for what it's worth - I know I haven't told anyone how much I weigh (yet) but I will say that I do weigh less then all of the contestants that are on there.  I am not saying this as a "pat on the back" or "good for me", I am just stating a fact in case you were wondering!!}  


So, regardless of whether I can completely relate to all of the contestants, I can relate to how they feel about their families, specifically their children.  Just like the contestants, I want to lose weight and be healthier for my children.  I want to be a good role model and I want to live a VERY long life so I can see them grow up.  To me, this is one of the main reasons, as a parent, to lose weight, exercise and be healthy.  I love my children more than anything and I would do anything for them.  They deserve to have a Mommy who does everything she can to lose weight, have more energy, and be a good role model.  I owe it to them.


I haven't set my sights on another 5k just yet but when I do, I know they'll be out there cheering me on at the finish line.   And down the road, I am sure the 3 of us will be finishing a race together!  I look forward to it.    


  
       

1 comment:

  1. I'll cheer for you too, just as you did for me. My only roadside cheerleader!

    ReplyDelete