Pages

Friday, October 07, 2011

Mmmmm...it's "Tofurky" time in Canada!!

It is Thanksgiving weekend this weekend in Canada!! 

For most of you, Thanksgiving dinner is the time to fill your little bellies with turkey and stuffing and all the fixin's! 

For me (and a few other lovely people I know), Thanksgiving means Tofurky!!  I guess we can eat it at other times of year as well but it is mandatory for us to have on Thanksgiving (and Christmas) dinner.

I was introduced to Tofurky about 8 years ago by a friend.  I was telling her that I just didn't understand all the hype about Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.  For years (alright, decades) people around me would talk about their holiday meal and it was almost as if their eyes would light up.  I just didn't get it. 

Besides being a vegetarian for 20+ years, I am also allergic to poultry.  My family discovered this allergy when I was about 7 or 8 years old.  That meant, at a very young age, I was no longer allowed to have turkey, turkey gravy or the delicious turkey dressing that everyone else around me was having.  Apparently, my Mom makes the best dressing/stuffing!! 

So, from the age of 7 or 8 and until I was vegetarian, my Mom would usually make a small ham so I could have some of that.  It really wasn't the same.  Then, after becoming vegetarian in my teens, my holiday meal was usually a pasta dish or some other vegetarian dish that didn't take too long to prepare.  At the end of the meal, I just didn't seem as satisfied as the other dinner guests.  I didn't get the same pleasure out of the meal as everyone else did.

That eventually all changed.  Fastforward to 2003 when I cooked my first ever Tofurky.  I can't recall if it was Thanksgiving or Christmas but that really doesn't matter.  What does matter is my meal.  OH MY GOD - my meal.  I finally got it.  I finally got what all the fuss was about.  Here I was with a full plate of food that looked just like everyone elses.  I had a slice of tofurky, some vegetarian tofurky dressing, mashed potatoes, vegetables and vegetarian gravy.  I ate every last bite and sat there with a silly grin on my face.  I finally understood it.  I don't know how to describe it but I guess I don't have to.  You all understand.  Whether it be turkey or Tofurky, a holiday meal surrounded by people that you love, is just a wonderful feeling!!

If you want to find out more about the amazing Tofurky products, you can check them out here: Tofurky ProductsThey have a lot of other products besides a Tofurky roast.  

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all my Canadian friends and family.  I hope you have a lovely weekend surrounded by loved ones.  

For those in Ottawa, get your butts outdoors.  It is supposed to be a beautiful Fall weekend!  

No comments:

Post a Comment