Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mommy, is this your size?

One of the things that I am NOT going to teach my children is to be obsessed with their weight and be unhappy with their body image.  I spent most of my teenage and adult years worrying about what I looked like and what weight I was (sadly, I look back at those photos now and wonder why I was so concerned because I was a pretty healthy weight in my teen years).  I don't want my children to grow up concerned about this.


Besides making sure they have a healthy body image, I don't want them to hear me discuss my weight and/or trying to lose weight.  They see me choose healthy options when it comes to eating and they hear me discuss going to the gym at work but they won't hear me discuss trying to lose weight. 


So, the other day, I brought my girls to the mall with me to do a bit of shopping.  I was at one of my favourite clothing stores and I was looking through a rack of tops.  I was in the XL section checking out their selection (which was pretty dismal).  One of my girls (5-years old) was looking through the XS section and quite loudly said "Mommy, is this your size"?  I would have loved to respond with "oh god, how Mommy wishes to be that size" but instead I just said "no, honey, Mommy is actually this size over here".  She then proceeded to come over to my section and help me choose a shirt.


I was sort of laughing on the inside about that comment and the woman beside me in the XL section had a smirk on her face too.  


Oh, the things kids say!!

No comments:

Post a Comment