Pages

Saturday, November 05, 2011

French Fries & Potato Chips for Dinner

If someone told you that they ate french fries and potato chips for dinner AND they were overweight, you would probably think to yourself "well, no wonder you are overweight if you eat stuff like that for dinner".  


The truth of the matter is, I actually don't eat french fries or potato chips very often.  I never buy french fries to make at home so the only time I eat them is at a restaurant and even then, I don't choose them as a side dish all the time.  The majority of the time I choose a side salad.  I would guess that I probably eat french fries about 3-4 times per year.  As for potato chips, it is probably even less.  I don't buy them.  I actually don't even like them that much.  If I was given a choice between chips, pretzels or popcorn, the latter two would win every time.  This isn't to say that I don't ever eat them.  I may nibble on some at a party or get together if there is a bowl sitting out.  They are definitely a treat.  I would guess that I probably eat chips about 2 times per year.


So, why this post?  Well, I did eat french fries and potato chips last night for dinner.  Actually, the french fries was part of the main meal but the potato chips were just a last minute decision because I wanted try out a recipe that I saw a long time ago.


Let's start with the first recipe:


Homemade French Fries


Ingredients:
3 regular size white potatoes, peeled & washed
1 tsp olive oil (or whatever oil you have on hand but I only have olive oil)
Salt and pepper to season
Any other seasoning that you want (cayenne, garlic etc).


Heat oven to 425 degrees.


Cut the potatoes into french fry size.  Put them in a bowl of water for 15 minutes (this helps get rid of some of the starch and will help them cook better).  Then drain the bowl and lay the potatoes out on a paper towel.  Pat them to dry.  Put them back into the bowl (that you have dried of all the remaining water).  Add the oil and as much salt and/or pepper as you want.  Toss it all together.  Lay them out on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.


Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes, flipping them often.  Some of the smaller pieces may burn if in for the whole time so each time I flipped them, I took those ones out and let my kiddies and I sample them.


There you have it.  Low fat, homemade french fries.  My girls and I really enjoyed them.  Besides tasting like a little treat, I was happy knowing that my girls and I were eating homemade french fries that didn't need to be deep fried in order to taste good.


Now onto the next recipe, the potato chips.  The only reason I even made these is because I was eyeing this recipe on a website that I frequent for years.  I had never tried them so I figured that seeing as I was already washing the potatoes and cutting them, I would try this recipe too.  Let's just think of it as an appetizer.


Healthy Potato Chips  


Instead of posting the recipe, easiest thing would be for you to read this blog entry on one of my favourite recipe sites:  Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
If you scroll down a bit, you will see the recipe for the potato chips.  I used just one potato so my girls and I could try it out.  They were quite tasty.  Next time I will use more salt but they were pretty good.  I would definitely make them again.


Now, I should mention that the french fries and potato chips weren't the only items on the menu.  We also had some veggies and meat as well (well, I had a vegetarian protein)!!!


So, if you are having a craving for a salty carb but a healthy one too, try one of the recipes above.  They hit the spot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment