Pages

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Parties and Potlucks and Wine, Oh My!!

I got woken up shortly before 4am by one of my darling daughters and then I couldn't get back to sleep.  I laid there for about 30 minutes and finally decided that I should just get out of bed.  It isn't even 5:30 and I have showered, put in a load of laundry, checked emails, finished packing lunches and did a few other odd little jobs around the house.


Now I am sitting here enjoying a cup of tea thinking about everything that I have coming up in December.  I have to admit, I am really nervous.  I have lost 15 pounds so far and I want to continue to lose weight but the next 3 weeks are really going to be difficult.  I'll be lucky if I just stay the same and not gain anything in the next 3 weeks.  I know that sounds very negative but look at this crazy schedule:


Thursday, December 8th - party at my children's childcare which includes a huge buffet of food (appetizers, main dishes and tonnes of desserts)


Friday, December 9th - potluck at my friends' place which will include tonnes of food and wine.  The good thing is that I will have to limit the amount of alcohol I consume because I have to drive home.


Tuesday, December 13th - office Christmas party at lunch.  I may choose not to have wine at this function but the party is being held at an Italian restaurant and the vegetarian items on our group menu are pretty high in calories.  Eeek!


Thursday, December 15th - Christmas lunch with friends from work at Milestone's.  I think there is a nice vegetarian sandwich that I can have that isn't too bad.  


Friday, December 16th - Christmas "shindig" (as my sister calls it) at her place.  Lots of food and wine.  The good thing is that I will have to limit the amount of alcohol I consume because I have to drive home.


Saturday, December 17th - dinner out at a pub with my immediate family (kids, parents,  sister).  Not sure what's on the menu but I am sure I'll be having a glass of wine to celebrate the season. 


Tuesday, December 20th - Christmas party/potluck at my office. 


Friday, December 23rd - get together at my friend's place.  If it is anything like last year, we'll end up consuming LOTS of wine and quite a bit of food.


Saturday, December 24th - Christmas Eve (as you all know) - our immediate family always has a few glasses of wine to celebrate but I think this year we are going to be careful with the food that we eat.  In previous years it was usually crappy munchy food (i.e. M&M) which is full of fat, calories and sodium.


Then there is Christmas day and then another family party a few days after Christmas....Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....


So, those are the dates that are already set in stone.  God only knows what else may pop up between now and Christmas.


Here are a few ways that I think may help me in not gaining weight this month:
1. Continue at the gym every week.  Increase the 2 days a week to 3 days a week (if possible).
2. On the days where I have an evening function, I will be very careful in what I eat during the day - probably just a lot of fruit and veggies.
3. On the nights where I am consuming alcohol at someone's house, I will bring some diet sprite or 7Up.  My sister introduced to me what she calls the "Cheap Man's Sangria".  It is half red wine and half Sprite or 7Up.  So, if I bring the diet stuff then I can lower the calories that I am consuming in my alcohol.  
4. Of course, the obvious is to stick to the healthier dishes like veggies and fruit at all these potlucks but I have to be serious with myself.  I am going to want to sample some of those other yummy looking appetizers.  
5. I don't think desserts are going to be too big of a problem.  At this time of year, I actually prefer the appetizers over the desserts.  Don't get me wrong, some desserts are quite tempting and I may have a sample (or two) but I don't think I will overindulge.
6. LOTS of water.  I will continue to drink LOTS of water this month to help flush out a lot of the stuff I'll be putting in my body.


If anyone else has any other suggestions to help me out this month, please feel free to comment.  


Wishing us all luck over the next few weeks!!  :) 

1 comment:

  1. Great tips for keeping the calories down during the holiday season! I think you are already a step ahead by preparing yourself - many people say 'forget the diet until after the holidays'!

    Keep your eye on the prize my friend(massage at 25 lbs)?!

    ReplyDelete